GeniAus' Family Site

Benson John Barnabas

Male Abt 1928 - 1928  (~ 0 years)

Personal Information    |    Sources    |    All

  • Name Benson John Barnabas  [1, 2
    Born Abt 1928  [3
    Gender Male 
    Died 13 Oct 1928  Clyde River,Batemans Bay,NSW,Australia Find all individuals with events at this location  [3
    Person ID I10047  GeniAus Family Tree
    Last Modified 28 Oct 2018 

    Father Benson James,   b. 30 Nov 1887,   d. 1955, ,London, Middlesex, England Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 67 years) 
    Mother Weston Bertha,   d. 13 Oct 1928, Clyde River,Batemans Bay,NSW,Australia Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Married Abt 22 Sep 1917  The Church of the Resurrection,Gilgandra,NSW,Australia Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Family ID F3289  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Sources 
    1. [S3028] Goulburn Evening Penny Post (NSW : 1881 - 1940), Fri 19 Oct 1928 Page 4 PATHETIC SCENE.

    2. [S3024] NSW Death Index, BENSON JOHN B 19240/1928 JAMES BERTHA MORUYA.

    3. [S2] Sydney Morning Herald, Sat 13 Oct 1928 Page 17 FIVE DROWNED.
      Clergyman's Terrible
      BATEMAN'S BAY, Friday
      A motor car, driven by the Rev. J. Benson,
      of Bodalla, and in which were travelling his
      wife and four little children, plunged into
      the Clyde River at Bateman's Bay early this
      morning, The car immediately turned over,
      trapping the occupants, and though Mr. Ben-
      son escaped by wrenching open the side door,
      his wife and family were drowned.
      The names of those drowned wore:-Mrs.
      J. Benson; Mary Benson, aged 9 years; Mar-
      garet Benson, aged 7 years; James Benson,
      aged 4 years; and Barnabas Benson, aged 15
      The Rev. Mr. Benson is an Anglican min-
      ister, and has been stationed in the Bodalla
      parish for four years.
      The family were returning from a camping
      expedition. They left Nowra at 6 o'clock on
      Thursday night, and, travelling during the
      night, they reached the northern side of Clyde
      River about 3 o'clock this morning. The
      car overran the punt landing stage and plunged
      into deep water.
      All the children were sleeping in the rear
      part of the ear, and the side curtains had
      been placed in position to protect them from
      the night air. Mrs. Benson was seated beside
      her husband.
      After a desperate effort Mr. Benson suc-
      ceeded in forcing open the door on his side
      of the car, and he stepped on to the running
      board. He grasped his wife's arm, and en-
      deavoured to drag her from the car, but his
      efforts were frustrated when the inrush of
      water from the strongly flowing tide caused
      the car to overturn.
      Mr. Benson then rose to the surface, and
      shortly afterwards dived again. He kept up
      his heroic struggle to reach his family
      trapped beneath the icy waters, until his
      strength was almost exhausted, and then,
      realising that his single-handed efforts were
      in vain, he struggled to the shore.
      Tarrying for a few moments until he had
      partly recovered from his terrifying experi-
      ence, Mr. Benson made his way to a house
      nearby, and awakened the occupants. Return-
      ing to the river, Mr. Benson heard the punt
      approaching from the southern shore and
      soon afterwards the punt-man, Mr. Frederick
      Jones, and Mr. Frederick Ladmore, a baker,
      of Bateman's Bay reached him.
      Efforts were made to locate the car, but it
      was some time before they were successful
      Although the men dived several times they
      could not reach any of the bodies. It was
      then decided to await daylight.
      Dragging operations later in the day re-
      sulted In the recovery of the bodies of three
      of the children, but those of Mrs. Benson
      and the body of the baby have not yet been
      Mr. Benson, when interviewed by the police
      later in the day, showed obvious signs of the
      terrible ordeal through which he had passed.
      He stated that on the journey down the coast
      he had seen many red lights at intervals along
      the road, placed there by the Main Roads
      Board for the guidance of motorists. When
      nearing the river he saw the warning beacon,
      but, thinking it was merely another sign,
      similar to those he had already passed, he
      only slowed down. The next moment the car
      lurched down a steep incline and plunged
      into the water.
      The bodies of the three children were re-
      moved to the Church of England at Bate-
      man's Bay. Diver W. Wray is to continue a
      search for the other bodies.